Take it from a local central Oregonian, it’s better to be prepare now for winter, then wait until the cold weather hits.
Here are a few things to do to get ready.
- Studded tires are legal in Oregon Nov. 1 through March 31. Don’t wait for the first snow like everybody else does! Look here for Winter Driving Tips.
- Build your emergency preparations at home in case of the inevitable severe winter storm, get a list of Emergency Supplies here.
- For your car: have antifreeze levels checked, the correct weight motor oil, and stock an Automotive Emergency Kit to keep in the vehicle at all times.
- Stock your kitchen with soups and long keeping snacks. Here’s a list for your kitchen.
- Make sure your furry friends have shelter options at all times, and plenty of food and water.
- Know what to do to keep your pipes from freezing on the coldest days. Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage. Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. When the weather is very cold outside, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes.
- Clean out your heaters, get them ready to be used. You can hire a heat duct cleaning company, but if you just have wall heaters, those you can vacuum out yourself.
- Remove watering hoses from spigots, and get spigot covers.
- Check all your windows and doors to make sure they’re keeping out the cold. Let us know if you need Jumbo Weather Stripping or window and door replacements! And remember, window and door replacements take 2-4 weeks so don’t wait!